Thursday, January 24, 2008

Obama the Conservative

More on Obama the conservative, this time from the British magazine Prospect. This is one of the most concise versions of the argument I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hillary is the spitting-image of progress, and I am sick of the Clinton-dynasty. There are, however, fewer illusions surrounding her candidacy. (With the glaring exception of her 'experience' - as far as I can tell, she has far less than she claims, and many of her actual decisions, like voting for the war, have been wrong. What good is that kind of experience?) Obama seems to be attracting starry-eyed visions of change, transformation, new beginnings. He does that because he is an empty vessel, most of whose actual political statements are as pragmatic and boring as any other mainstream candidate.

No comments: